Broccoli With Herb Cheese
Using frozen broccoli makes this simple. Assemble up to 1 day ahead with little clean-up. Recipe can be doubled in 9"x13" pan. Easy to bring, before or after baking, to holiday dinner at someone else's house. See low-fat substitute for cheese in instructions. (Inspired by SF Chronicle 1997 Thanksgiving recipe article.)
Yield: 4 servings
Community Recipe from
- 16 ounce(s) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 3 ounce(s) creamy herb cheese (Boursin, Alouette or Rondele)
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/4 cup(s) almonds sliced
- Thaw broccoli in microwave for 6-8 minutes on defrost cycle. Blot dry on paper towels.
- Melt butter in medium-size saucepan. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring for 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, whisking constantly over moderate heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Whisk in cheese and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place broccoli in a 1.5 or 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with salt. Spread sauce over top. (If making up to 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine breadcrumbs, oil and almonds and sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the broccoli is heated through.
- NOTE: For low-fat version, in place of cheese: combine 1/3 cup low or non-fat sour cream, 2 Tbsp herbs, 1/2 tsp garlic olive oil, and 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ebelle and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes