Broccoli With Herb Cheese
Using frozen broccoli makes this simple. Assemble up to 1 day ahead with little clean-up. Recipe can be doubled in 9"x13" pan. Easy to bring, before or after baking, to holiday dinner at someone else's house. See low-fat substitute for cheese in instructions. (Inspired by SF Chronicle 1997 Thanksgiving recipe article.)
Yield: 4 servings
Community Recipe from
- 16 ounce(s) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 3 ounce(s) creamy herb cheese (Boursin, Alouette or Rondele)
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/4 cup(s) almonds sliced
- Thaw broccoli in microwave for 6-8 minutes on defrost cycle. Blot dry on paper towels.
- Melt butter in medium-size saucepan. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring for 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, whisking constantly over moderate heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Whisk in cheese and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place broccoli in a 1.5 or 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with salt. Spread sauce over top. (If making up to 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine breadcrumbs, oil and almonds and sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the broccoli is heated through.
- NOTE: For low-fat version, in place of cheese: combine 1/3 cup low or non-fat sour cream, 2 Tbsp herbs, 1/2 tsp garlic olive oil, and 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ebelle and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note