Excellent! I was pleasantly surprised after the mixed reviews. I used Vermont Cheddar, but not fresh parmesean -- I only had the kind that sprinkles out of the green can so that is what I used. Skipped the fresh thyme because I didn't have any. Also, I kept it warm by letting the bowl of sauce sit in a bowl of very warm water as the broccoli cooked. There was very little left over, but I didn't have any problem with it separating as another reviewer did. Easy and very flavorful!
Broccoli with Cheddar Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
This classic side dish is quick and easy. Steaming for the appropriate time ensures the broccoli is properly crisp-tender.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup broccoli and 2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 69
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 204mg
- Calcium: 143mg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets (about 9 cups)
- 1. Place flour in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly. Cook 1 additional minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Keep warm.
- 2. Add water to a large saucepan to a depth of 1 inch; set a large vegetable steamer in pan. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli to steamer. Steam broccoli, covered, 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Serve broccoli immediately with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables