Broccoli with Caraway-Cheese Sauce
Caraway seeds have a distinct nutty flavor. Store the seeds in an airtight container in a cool, dark place up to six months to maintain this flavor.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 58
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 128mg
- Calcium: 100mg
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli (about 8 cups)
- 2 teaspoons margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1. Remove and discard broccoli leaves; cut off and discard tough ends of stalks. Wash broccoli; cut into spears. Arrange spears in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 8 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain and place on a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm.
- 2. Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, until smooth. Add cheese and caraway seeds; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- 3. Pour sauce over broccoli. Sprinkle with pimiento, and serve immediately.
- carbo rating: 4
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This