Okay, so based on the comments I read I modified this recipe heavily and I think it came out okay. I'll post it here just in case anyone wants to use my alterations. Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice, cooked 4 cups broccoli (prepared per recipe's direction) 3 cups kale (sauteed with onion) 1 medium onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced (sauteed with onion) 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan 3/4 cup Fontina 4 tbsp reduced-fat sharp cheddar 3/4 cup 1% milk 3/4 cup all-whites egg whites 1/4 cup chicken/veg broth salt, pepper to taste 2 tsp herbes de provence pinch ground nutmeg Cooking spray I followed the recipe as far as the broccoli and onion, but then went ahead and mixed everything together and spooned into a casserole. No breadcrumbs, but I made sure it was covered with a lid and baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Could use veg broth to keep it vegetarian. Can't post all the nutritional info due to character limit, but calories per 1/6th the recipe are 236
Broccoli and Three-Cheese Casserole
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 16.3g
- Carbohydrate: 27.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 613mg
- Calcium: 259mg
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fines herbes
- 3 egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 1 bunch)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (1-ounce) slices firm white bread
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine the rice, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, fines herbes, and egg whites. Press mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle fontina evenly over rice mixture. Set aside.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for 4 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in broccoli. Spoon broccoli mixture evenly over rice mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Combine egg substitute, milk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over broccoli mixture.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups. Combine breadcrumbs and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over broccoli. Bake at 400° for 23 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch