Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of red pepper
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, chopped broccoli, well drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sauté chopped onion in butter in a medium saucepan until tender; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add 1 cup milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Combine cream sauce, beaten yolks, broccoli, and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.
- Combine egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar; beat until stiff but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into broccoli mixture. Spoon into a lightly greased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Place in a pan of hot water; bake at 325° for 40 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables