Just made this dish and am confused about the complete lack of flavor. I was concerned about water only so I split water with vegetable broth. I also added extra garlic. Nothing, not a thing. The bread did help, but not enough. Suggestions for improvement: cooking carrots and celery along with the onion, perhaps some dry or fresh herbs, can of diced tomatoes.
Broccoli Rabe and White Bean Soup
Broccoli rabe (also called rapini) has a sharp flavor that nicely offsets the mild, creamy beans. Collard or mustard greens are good alternatives.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 35.2g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 875mg
- Calcium: 245mg
- 8 ounces broccoli rabe (rapini)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 (3-inch) piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 (1-ounce) slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Remove and discard tough ends from broccoli rabe stems; coarsley chop the broccoli rabe.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper and 2 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broccoli rabe and salt, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add water and cheese rind. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes. Add beans, and simmer 5 minutes. Discard cheese rind.
- Rub both sides of toasted bread with cut sides of halved garlic clove. Tear toasts into bite-sized pieces; divide toast pieces evenly among 4 bowls. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup over toast pieces in each bowl; top each serving with 2 tablespoons grated cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews