- 5 cups chicken broth
- 6 thin slices fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 red chile, cut into rings
- 1 cup (4 oz.) cooked ham, cut into wide, thin strips
- 8 to 12 oz. broccoli rabe or Chinese mustard greens (gai choy)*, ends trimmed and cut into 2-in. lengths
- calories 85
- caloriesfromfat 34 %
- protein 9.7 g
- fat 3.2 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 6 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- sodium 1639 mg
- cholesterol 23 mg
How to Make It
In a large saucepan over high heat, bring broth, ginger, garlic, and 2 to 4 chile rings to a boil. Cover and simmer until broth is infused with flavor, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove ginger, garlic, and chile with a slotted spoon if you like.
Add ham and greens; add more broth, if needed, to cover greens. Bring to a boil, covered, and cook until greens are barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide the soup between 4 serving bowls and top each with a few more red chile rings if you like.
*Find Chinese mustard greens in specialty produce markets or farmers' markets.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.