A good way to get an interesting texture and a disguise for people who ordinarily don't like big people vegetables
Broccoli Rabe Fritto Misto
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 4.2g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 31mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- About 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 8 ounces broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 lemon, half sliced thinly and half cut into wedges
- 1. Combine flour, cornstarch, and spices in a medium bowl. In another bowl, mix olive oil with 1 1/2 cups cold water. Slowly whisk into flour mixture until smooth. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- 2. Pour 2 in. vegetable oil into a large, wide pot. Insert a deep-fry thermometer and heat over high heat to 375°, then reduce heat to medium to maintain temperature.
- 3. Meanwhile, whisk whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into batter.
- 4. Dip 1 stalk broccoli rabe at a time into batter, then carefully lower into hot oil. Cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt while warm. Dip and fry lemon slices the same way. Serve both warm or at room temperature with lemon wedges.
Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers