It was a disappointment. The bottom of the dish was soaking in a soup-like sauce, while the top part remained dry. The taste was not my favorite either, the mustard did not blend well. I don''t even have any ideas how to improve this recipe.
Broccoli Potato Gratin
A classic French dish, potato gratin combines with the American favorite, broccoli-cheese casserole, for a tasty twist on both. Make sure all the potato slices are about the same thickness so they cook evenly.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 225
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 10.1g
- Carbohydrate: 30.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 22.7mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 432mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup minced shallots (about 4 large)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Layer one-third of potato slices in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, overlapping to fit; top with half of broccoli mixture. Repeat layers, ending with potato. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place 3 tablespoons flour in a medium bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; stir in broth. Pour milk mixture over potato mixture. Top evenly with butter. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Uncover; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake 25 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note