- 8 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 12 garlic melba toast rounds
- calories 154
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 5.1 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 0.5 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 11.9 g
- carbohydrate 16.6 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 1.5 mg
- sodium 415 mg
- calcium 274 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Place flour, salt, and dry mustard in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually add the fat-free milk and chicken broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook for 8 minutes or until it is thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add shredded cheddar cheese and 6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in pimientos and pepper. Add broccoli, tossing to coat.
Spoon the broccoli mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Place garlic melba toast rounds in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Combine toast crumbs and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle evenly over broccoli mixture. Spray top of casserole lightly with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.