Broccoli Matchsticks and Kale Salad
Photo: Chris Court
This delicious, healthy salad makes use of sweet broccoli stems.
Yield: 4 to 5
More From Food & Wine
- 1 pound kale, stems and inner ribs removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 3 (1 cup) broccoli stems, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh Pecorino Romano or Manchego cheese, coarsely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 13 minutes, or until the skins blister and the nuts are golden. Transfer to a kitchen towel and let cool. Rub off the skins and chop the nuts.
- Put the kale and broccoli stems in a bowl and season with salt. Using your hands, squeeze the vegetables to soften them slightly.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the leeks and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the kale and broccoli and let stand for 2 minutes. Toss well to coat. Add the cheese and hazelnuts and season with pepper; toss again. Serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads