I made this recipe with a mixed cheese blend and 1% milk and it was fantastic! It does take longer to "thicken" the flour/butter/milk combo- but that was okay with me. The cayenne pepper packs the needed punch!
Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Cheddar-American cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs or 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in all-purpose flour; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk gradually; cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add shredded cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in broccoli and pasta. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs; dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To lighten: Substitute equal portions reduced-calorie margarine, 2% reduced-fat milk, and 2% reduced-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, and reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Cook as directed, and pour into baking dish. Stir together remaining margarine, melted, and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake as directed, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Stir in chopped chicken if you want some meat in this dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This