I made this recipe with a mixed cheese blend and 1% milk and it was fantastic! It does take longer to "thicken" the flour/butter/milk combo- but that was okay with me. The cayenne pepper packs the needed punch!
Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Cheddar-American cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs or 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in all-purpose flour; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk gradually; cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add shredded cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in broccoli and pasta. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs; dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To lighten: Substitute equal portions reduced-calorie margarine, 2% reduced-fat milk, and 2% reduced-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, and reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Cook as directed, and pour into baking dish. Stir together remaining margarine, melted, and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake as directed, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Stir in chopped chicken if you want some meat in this dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note