Not very flavorful for all the cheeses, might be better w/parm reg instead of the asiago. Pretty easy to make and the bread topping is good but the cheese sauce needs improvement.
Broccoli Mac and Cheese Gratin
Blanched broccoli boosts the nutritional profile of a familiar cheesy pasta main dish. Besides lending color to the recipe, the green vegetable adds fiber, folate, and vitamin C.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups pasta)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 360
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 48.7g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 708mg
- Calcium: 341mg
- 4 cups uncooked medium seashell pasta (about 12 ounces)
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes; add broccoli. Cook 3 minutes or until pasta is done. Drain.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 45 seconds. Transfer garlic mixture to a small bowl; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; stir in onion. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 3 cups milk. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine the remaining 3/4 cup milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to onion mixture. Return pan to medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in the cheeses, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and nutmeg. Add pasta mixture to milk mixture, tossing gently to coat. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine garlic mixture and bread in a food processor; pulse 15 times or until fine crumbs measure 1 cup. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until the top is brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables