- 4 cups uncooked medium seashell pasta (about 12 ounces)
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- calories 360
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 10.4 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 19 g
- carbohydrate 48.7 g
- fiber 3.2 g
- cholesterol 27 mg
- iron 2.4 mg
- sodium 708 mg
- calcium 341 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes; add broccoli. Cook 3 minutes or until pasta is done. Drain.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 45 seconds. Transfer garlic mixture to a small bowl; set aside.
Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; stir in onion. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 3 cups milk. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine the remaining 3/4 cup milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to onion mixture. Return pan to medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in the cheeses, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and nutmeg. Add pasta mixture to milk mixture, tossing gently to coat. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine garlic mixture and bread in a food processor; pulse 15 times or until fine crumbs measure 1 cup. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until the top is brown.