Broccoli Chicken Supreme
This saucy, comforting casserole will draw compliments when it's served at your next potluck dinner. Try the Supreme Sauce with leftover or cooked meats, fish or vegetables. Recipe published in Taste of Home February/March 2008.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 cup(s) fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cup(s) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 6 cup(s) cubed cooked chicken
- 3 8-ounce can(s) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup(s) plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) heavy whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup(s) slivered almonds, toasted
- • Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender.
- • In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer 4 cups chicken, two-thirds of the mushrooms, two cans of water chestnuts and 4 cups broccoli. In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer the remaining chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and broccoli.
- • In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in the flour, seasoned salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- • Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and nutmeg.
- • Pour 3 cups sauce over the large casserole and remaining sauce over the small casserole; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note