Broccoli Chicken Supreme
- 6 cup(s) fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cup(s) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 6 cup(s) cubed cooked chicken
- 3 8-ounce can(s) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup(s) plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) heavy whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup(s) slivered almonds, toasted
- • Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender.
- • In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer 4 cups chicken, two-thirds of the mushrooms, two cans of water chestnuts and 4 cups broccoli. In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer the remaining chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and broccoli.
- • In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in the flour, seasoned salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- • Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and nutmeg.
- • Pour 3 cups sauce over the large casserole and remaining sauce over the small casserole; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note