Delicious, creamy, cheesy, perfect chicken soup. This time I made it with 1 1/2 cups of bowtie pasta instead of vermicelli. When I serve on a special occasion, I top each bowl with a bit of shredded cheddar and place under the broiler for a few minutes until bubbly. Everyone loved it, as always!
Broccoli and Chicken Noodle Soup
Traditional broccoli cheese soups often have more than 16 grams of fat and 2,000 milligrams of sodium per serving. This soup offers a healthier alternative without sacrificing the delicious flavor. If the broccoli florets are large, break them into smaller pieces at the stalk instead of chopping them; they'll cook more quickly. Thin the soup with milk if needed when reheating.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 22.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 696mg
- Calcium: 301mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces uncooked vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded light processed cheese
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium; add canola oil to mushroom mixture, stirring to com-bine. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- 3. Stir pasta into mushroom mixture; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- 4. Add cheese to mushroom mixture, stirring until cheese melts. Add chicken and remaining ingredients to cheese mixture; cover and cook 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender and soup is thoroughly heated.
- Young Chefs can:
- Measure sliced mushrooms and broccoli
- Help break vermicelli into pieces
- Older Chefs can:
- Add vermicelli to mushroom mixture with adult supervision
- Add chicken and broccoli to cheese mixture with adult supervision
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note