1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat to medium; add canola oil to mushroom mixture, stirring to com-bine. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
3. Stir pasta into mushroom mixture; cover and cook 10 minutes.
4. Add cheese to mushroom mixture, stirring until cheese melts. Add chicken and remaining ingredients to cheese mixture; cover and cook 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender and soup is thoroughly heated.
Young Chefs can:
- Measure sliced mushrooms and broccoli
- Help break vermicelli into pieces
Older Chefs can:
- Add vermicelli to mushroom mixture with adult supervision
- Add chicken and broccoli to cheese mixture with adult supervision
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.