Good flavor, DH did complain it was too thin and I even added a bit of cornstarch before adding the half and half and cheese. We had some left over bacon bits we crumbled on the top. Served with a tossed green salad and breadsticks and it was a filling meal. Easy to make using my immersion blender too.
Traditional broccoli-cheese soup has nearly 400 calories and more than 18g saturated fat per serving. Ours has less than half the calories and one-fourth of the saturated fat.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10.7g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 532mg
- Calcium: 213mg
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 3/4 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Pour soup into a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return soup to pan. Stir in half-and-half and 2 ounces cheese. Top evenly with remaining cheese and parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note