Most outstanding breakfast casserole ever! The ingredients seemed a little unusual for breakfast but make a perfectly balanced and beautiful dish. Followed exactly, except for fresh broccoli instead of frozen. Chop the broccoli fairly small and it cooks completely without pre-cooking. Slicing the tomatoes thinly like directed makes a beautiful topping as well as insuring that they aren't too juicy during cooking. No flavor was overwhelming and the texture is perfect. Make sure to bake thouroughly and check for doneness by inserting a knife in the center that should come out clean. Everyone, child and adult, enjoyed this dish!
Broccoli-Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1/2 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded three-cheese gourmet Cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- Cook ground pork sausage and chopped onion in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- Toss together sausage mixture, broccoli, and 1/2 cup cheese blend. Spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- Stir together 1/2 cup cheese blend, eggs, and next 4 ingredients; pour over broccoli mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese blend. Arrange tomato on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch