This soup is delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, but I did use mostly broccoli stalks instead of florets because I was trying to use them up. And it seemed to yield 12 cups instead of the stated 6 cups. I wonder if the stalks made any difference.
Hearty and satisfying, this soup gets its rich creaminess from potatoes.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 28.9g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 447mg
- Calcium: 275mg
- 4 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets, divided
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 4 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1. Place potato and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender; drain.
- 2. While potatoes cook, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrot, and garlic 5 minutes or until tender. Add 4 cups broccoli, broth, 2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Stir in potatoes.
- 3. Combine 1 cup broccoli and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until bright green. Drain.
- 4. Process mixture in Dutch oven with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth or place half of broccoli mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining broccoli mixture. Return pured mixture to Dutch oven.
- 5. Add milk and cheese; cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring until cheese melts and soup is smooth. Stir in steamed broccoli. Ladle soup into individual bowls.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note