I made this for my family Thanksgiving Dinner the year it was published in Southern Living. Everyone loved it. We especially liked the crunchy texture the water chestnuts added and the color the pimientos brought to the dish. Easy, reasonably nutritious and attractive - what more could you want from a vegetable dish? I've been asked to bring it to our family Thanksgiving get-together again this year.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 50 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 2 (16-ounce) packages fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Cheddar Cheese Cream Sauce
- 2 (8-ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (2-ounce) jars diced pimientos, drained (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Place half of broccoli florets in an 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water, and microwave at HIGH 7 minutes or until tender; drain. Repeat with remaining half of broccoli and 1/4 cup water. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; sauté onion 7 minutes or until tender.
- Combine broccoli, onion, Cheddar Cheese Cream Sauce, sliced water chestnuts, salt, and, if desired, pimientos. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350º for 15 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with Cheddar cheese; bake 30 to 35 more minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note