Broccoli and Carrots with Toasted Almonds
Toast the almonds and blanch the vegetables a day ahead to ease preparation during the day's rush. If you would rather not make the Homemade Turkey Stock, substitute fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 54
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 6.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 130mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound (1-inch) diagonally cut carrots (about 3 cups)
- 1 (12-ounce) bag broccoli florets (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup Homemade Turkey Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Cool completely, and set aside.
- Place carrots in a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Plunge into ice water, and drain. Place broccoli in boiling water; cook 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add carrots, broccoli, Homemade Turkey Stock, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 6 minutes or until carrots and broccoli are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note