- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. dry sherry
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces flank steak, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced across the grain
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 teaspoons peanut oil
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 1 lb.)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cooked jasmine rice, optional
- calories 262
- fat 13 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 23 g
- carbohydrate 13 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 53 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 545 mg
- calcium 84 mg
How to Make It
In a medium bowl, stir 1 Tbsp. each soy sauce and sherry, 2 tsp. cornstarch, 1 tsp. sugar and a generous grind of pepper until sugar has dissolved. Stir in beef. Let stand for 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk remaining 2 tsp. each soy sauce and sherry, 1 tsp. each cornstarch and sugar, broth, oyster sauce and sesame oil.
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 tsp. peanut oil over medium-high heat until very hot; swirl to coat skillet. Spread half of beef in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed, for 90 seconds to sear, then stir-fry for 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Add another 1 1/2 tsp. peanut oil; repeat with remaining beef.
Add 2 tsp. peanut oil and broccoli to skillet; stir-fry for 1 minute. Make a well in center and add remaining 1 tsp. peanut oil, scallion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Stir-fry until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1/3 cup water and cover skillet; steam until broccoli is just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Return beef to skillet. Whisk sauce and add to skillet. Cook, tossing well, until sauce is bubbling and thickened, about 1 minute. Serve with jasmine rice, if desired.