I have made this a few times, it is the official brisket recipe in our house. I never serve the lemons or olives, and dont think the recipe needs it. I cook it in the crock pot all day rather than in the oven for 3 hours.
Brisket with Olives and Preserved Lemons
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Look for oil-cured olives in the deli section of a gourmet grocery. With Moroccan Preserved Lemons, they add a pleasant briny, bitter finish to the dish.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces brisket, 1/2 cup onion mixture, 1 1/2 teaspoons preserved lemons, and about 2 1/2 teaspoons olives)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 396
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 48.7g
- Carbohydrate: 20.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 749mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups chopped onion (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Preserved Lemons
- 1/3 cup oil-cured olives, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Make 5 (1/2-inch-deep) slits into brisket; place 1 garlic clove in each slit. Sprinkle brisket evenly with salt and black pepper.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add brisket to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan.
- 4. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add 1/2 cup water and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaves) to pan; cook 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 5. Place brisket in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with onion mixture. Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350° for 3 hours or until brisket is very tender. Remove brisket from dish, reserving onion mixture. Discard bay leaves. Stir 2 tablespoons parsley and 2 tablespoons cilantro into onion mixture.
- 6. Cut brisket diagonally across grain into thin slices. Arrange brisket and onion mixture on a serving platter; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Serve with Preserved Lemons and olives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This