This dish is incredible. The brisket can be expensive, but it is so worth it. The flavors of the apricots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash are outstanding - an incredible winter meal!! So worth the effort!!
Brisket Pot Roast with Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, and Apricots
Brisket, a big flat roast, requires a large Dutch oven. A roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid will work as well for this recipe.
Yield: 11 servings (serving size: 3 ounces meat, 1/2 cup vegetables, and about 2 tablespoons cooking liquid)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 31.3g
- Carbohydrate: 25.9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 383mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup Madeira
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper. Add brisket to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Return beef to pan. Add Madeira, broth, garlic, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add squash, potato, and apricots to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf from pan; discard. Remove brisket from pan; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with vegetables and cooking liquid.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This