This dish is incredible. The brisket can be expensive, but it is so worth it. The flavors of the apricots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash are outstanding - an incredible winter meal!! So worth the effort!!
Brisket Pot Roast with Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, and Apricots
Brisket, a big flat roast, requires a large Dutch oven. A roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid will work as well for this recipe.
Yield: 11 servings (serving size: 3 ounces meat, 1/2 cup vegetables, and about 2 tablespoons cooking liquid)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 31.3g
- Carbohydrate: 25.9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 383mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup Madeira
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper. Add brisket to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Return beef to pan. Add Madeira, broth, garlic, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add squash, potato, and apricots to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf from pan; discard. Remove brisket from pan; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with vegetables and cooking liquid.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note