- 6 lb fresh deboned brisket (this should feed 12-15 people)
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot halved (I use 14-15 small already peeled baby carrots)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Telma chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 tsp pepper. 30 prunes. Juice 1 lemon. 3-4 tbsp Lyles gldn syrup,2 tsp cornstarch paste. 6 parboiled potatoes
- 1.PUBLIX GUY: Stab top and bottom with multiple forkings. Rub with Olive oil and spices Use heavy roasting pan for stove top searing or use Le Creuset for smaller brisket. Then can continue in oven or top
- Simmer the brisket with water, vegetables, seasonings and spices until tender (approximately 3-4 hours). Add more water as required, 1 cup at a time.
- 2. About half way through, add the prunes, lemon juice and syrup.
- 3. It is best to make this the day before. What I then do is take out the meat, cut it against the grain and let it cool, keeping it wrapped in foil.
- 4. Cool the sauce as well and refrigerate overnight. What happens is that the fat congeals on the top and you can lift it off the next day.
- 5. Can use immersion blender to LIGHTLY blend juice before adding back. Leave meat in juice for as much time as poss to allow flavors to seep in Reconstitute the meat and the gravy and bring to a boil. At this point, add the potatoes which have been parboiled. Use cornstarch for thicker gravy
This recipe is a personal recipe added by kriseman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brisket, Penny Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes