Brining a Turkey
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) Kosher Salt
- 1 cup(s) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 gallon(s) Water
- 1 bag(s) Ice
- Combine 1 cup of kosher salt, 1 cup of light brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of whole black peppercorns.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey and rinse the bird thoroughly.
- Pour 1 gallon of water into your soaking container. Add salt mixture and stir into water until dissolved.
- Place turkey, breast side down into water. Add a bag of ice and additional water to cover bird.
- If you are using a cooler, simply close the top. Otherwise, place your container in the refrigerator.
- Soak the turkey 12 hours.
- Prior to roasting, remove the turkey from the brine. Rinse it under cold water to remove all traces of salt, inside and out.
- Pat the turkey dry. Proceed with your favorite way of roasting your turkey.
- For a Crisp Skin:
- The night before roasting, remove the turkey from the brine and rinse thoroughly inside and out. Pat dry.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack over a baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 8 to 24 hours.
- Allowing the turkey to sit uncovered in the refrigerator overnight before roasting produces a bird with a crackling, crisp, brown skin.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan and brush the skin with oil or butter before roasting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by GingerWestfall and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes