Brining a Turkey
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) Kosher Salt
- 1 cup(s) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 gallon(s) Water
- 1 bag(s) Ice
- Combine 1 cup of kosher salt, 1 cup of light brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of whole black peppercorns.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey and rinse the bird thoroughly.
- Pour 1 gallon of water into your soaking container. Add salt mixture and stir into water until dissolved.
- Place turkey, breast side down into water. Add a bag of ice and additional water to cover bird.
- If you are using a cooler, simply close the top. Otherwise, place your container in the refrigerator.
- Soak the turkey 12 hours.
- Prior to roasting, remove the turkey from the brine. Rinse it under cold water to remove all traces of salt, inside and out.
- Pat the turkey dry. Proceed with your favorite way of roasting your turkey.
- For a Crisp Skin:
- The night before roasting, remove the turkey from the brine and rinse thoroughly inside and out. Pat dry.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack over a baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 8 to 24 hours.
- Allowing the turkey to sit uncovered in the refrigerator overnight before roasting produces a bird with a crackling, crisp, brown skin.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan and brush the skin with oil or butter before roasting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by GingerWestfall and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note