It's quite fruity. We had it with a salad (boiled egg, smoked salmon and cantaloupe) with Mango Chipotle dressing. Maybe will try pancakes, sometime.
Brie's Butternut Squash Bisque
After one of her favorite restaurants refused to divulge the recipe for its velvety butternut squash and apple soup, Brie Tennis came pretty close with her own version.
Yield: Makes 2 quarts; 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Calories from fat: 2.8%
- Protein: 8.6g
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 3 sweet apples, such as Golden Delicious (about 1 1/4 lb. total)
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Rinse squash; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place halves cut side down in a 12- by 17-inch baking pan. Peel, halve, and core apples; add to pan, along with 1/4 cup water.
- 2. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until squash and apples are tender when pierced, about 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh of squash from peels; discard peels.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary, whirl squash, apples, and broth until smooth. Pour purée into a 3- to 4-quart pan. Add wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and chili flakes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Ladle soup into wide bowls and garnish with chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews