I thought this was delicious. It's sweet but there's no added sugar so it's all natural sweetness. Low in fat & sodium; high in fiber -- a healthy winner. I left the chili flakes out, too, and would do so again. I don't think it needs any extra seasoning. I'm going to be making this one often.
Brie's Butternut Squash Bisque
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Calories from fat: 2.8%
- Protein: 8.6g
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 3 sweet apples, such as Golden Delicious (about 1 1/4 lb. total)
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Rinse squash; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place halves cut side down in a 12- by 17-inch baking pan. Peel, halve, and core apples; add to pan, along with 1/4 cup water.
- 2. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until squash and apples are tender when pierced, about 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh of squash from peels; discard peels.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary, whirl squash, apples, and broth until smooth. Pour purée into a 3- to 4-quart pan. Add wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and chili flakes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Ladle soup into wide bowls and garnish with chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews