- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 3 sweet apples, such as Golden Delicious (about 1 1/4 lb. total)
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- calories 224
- caloriesfromfat 2.8 %
- protein 8.6 g
- fat 0.7 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 46 g
- fiber 6.7 g
- sodium 67 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Rinse squash; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place halves cut side down in a 12- by 17-inch baking pan. Peel, halve, and core apples; add to pan, along with 1/4 cup water.
Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until squash and apples are tender when pierced, about 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh of squash from peels; discard peels.
In a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary, whirl squash, apples, and broth until smooth. Pour purée into a 3- to 4-quart pan. Add wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and chili flakes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle soup into wide bowls and garnish with chives.