Made this for Christmas brunch - easy and great flavor, but mine seemed to have a bit too much liquid and didn't completely set up. Will try it with about 1/2 cup less milk next time.
Brie and Egg Strata
The night before, assemble and layer the casserole without the egg mixture (steps one and two); cover and refrigerate. Combine the egg mixture (step three), and refrigerate in a separate container. In the morning, pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture; allow the strata to stand for 30 minutes before baking. Substitute a French baguette or sourdough loaf for the flat Italian bread, ciabatta, if desired. Freeze the Brie for about 15 minutes to make chopping easier.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 205
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 10.8g
- Carbohydrate: 26.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 534mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced unpeeled Yukon gold potato (1 large)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 pound ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes, toasted
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine onion mixture and bread.
- Place half of bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of Brie. Top with remaining bread mixture and remaining Brie.
- Place egg substitute and eggs in a medium bowl. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, herbes de Provence, and pepper. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note