Amazing. Wanted to grill dinner tonight and I found this recipe. All my husband could say was, Oh yeah .... Definitely a keeper!
Brick-Grilled Cornish Hens
More From Southern Living
Other: 1 Hour, 8 Minutes
- 8 (1 1/2- to 1 3/4-lb.) Cornish hens
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 aluminum foil-wrapped bricks*
- Garnishes: lemon wedges, flatleaf parsley sprigs
- 1. Cut Cornish hens lengthwise through the backbone using kitchen shears, and flatten.
- 2. Combine salt and next 4 ingredients; rub evenly over hens. Place hens in 2-qt. zip-top freezer bags or 2 large baking dishes. Whisk together lemon juice and olive oil; drizzle lemon juice mixture over hens. Seal or cover, and chill 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Remove hens from marinade, discarding marinade.
- 3. Place hens on cooking grate of grill, and top each with an aluminum foil-wrapped brick. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300° to 350°) 18 to 20 minutes on each side, replacing bricks on hens after flipping. Turn grill off, and let stand, covered with grill lid, 5 to 8 minutes or until done. (If using a charcoal grill, transfer hens to a 350° oven, and bake 5 to 8 minutes or until done.) Garnish, if desired.
- *Cast-iron skillets may be substituted for foil-wrapped bricks. Place a sheet of foil between each skillet and hen.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes