We love this dish, spicey-warm and satisfying. The Asadero/Oaxaca cheese is so melty and gooey...the best part!
Breast of Chicken Oaxaca
This decadent dish is from Casa del Sol in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, just across the border from El Paso. To lighten it, we sautéed the chicken breasts in a small amount of oil instead of frying them and used low-fat sour cream in place of the heavy cream in the chipotle sauce. Chipotle chiles are dry, smoked jalapeños, which can be found in cans or jars in the Mexican sections of most supermarkets. Asadero cheese, also called Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese, is a good melting cheese similar to Monterey Jack, which can be used as a substitute. You can also toss the pasta with tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and oregano, as they do at the restaurant.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 674
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 19.8g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 45.3g
- Carbohydrate: 77g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Calcium: 216mg
- Chipotle sauce:
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- 4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 peeled avocado, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded asadero or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups hot cooked linguine (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- To prepare chipotle sauce, combine first 3 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour sauce into a bowl; stir in sour cream and 1 tablespoon juice.
- To prepare chicken, toss avocado with 1 tablespoon juice. Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 1 avocado slice and 2 tablespoons cheese into each pocket. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and dredge chicken in flour. Dip chicken in egg whites; dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.
- Toss pasta with olives and parsley. Place 1 1/3 cups pasta on each of 6 plates. Arrange chicken on pasta; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons chipotle sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note