I make this a couple of times a year at the holidays or for work. This is the best tasting breakfast casserole I have ever eaten. It is time consuming in some respects but it is well worth the time for the product. This is one of the only recipes I have not and will not modified in some way. It is perfect as is. You won't regret making it.
Associate Foods Editor Mary Allen Perry likes the make-ahead ease of this breakfast casserole recipe. Prepare the recipe, without baking, and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; bake as directed. Tip: Make the Cheese Sauce before scrambling the eggs so the sauce will be ready to add at the proper time.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 (1-pound) package hot ground pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cheese Sauce (see page 84)
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeños
- Toppings: halved grape tomatoes, sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove from pan; drain well, pressing between paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and cilantro, and sauté 1 minute. Add eggs, salt, and pepper, and cook, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom. Draw a spatula across bottom of pan to form large curds. Continue to cook until eggs are thickened but still moist; do not stir constantly. Remove from heat, and gently fold in 1 1/2 cups Cheese Sauce and sausage.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup egg mixture down the center of each flour tortilla; roll up. Place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 13- x- 9-inch baking dish. Pour remaining Cheese Sauce evenly over tortillas; sprinkle evenly with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Serve with desired toppings.
Prepare half the cheese sauce recipe if you prefer a lighter breakfast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note