We loved this coffee cake because we love coffee. Super easy, too. The yogurt makes it rich & creamy. I did use half the butter & half the sugar & no icing & it is still delicious. I cooked it for about 35 min. and it was completely cooked with a little crunch on top. Love the grape nuts in it. Will def. make again!
Breakfast Coffee Cake
"I like to have this on hand for snacking or taking to friends. It freezes nicely without the icing. I created this recipe when my son married a nutritionist." -Kathy Frederickson, Leominster, MA
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 321
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 59.4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 342mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup nutlike cereal nuggets (such as Grape-Nuts)
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 7 3/4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla fat-free yogurt (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cooled brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cereal, espresso granules, and cinnamon in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, remaining 1 cup granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add yogurt, butter, and egg substitute; beat with an electric mixer on low speed 1 minute or until combined. Spread half of batter into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cereal mixture; top with remaining half of batter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean; cool in pan.
- Combine powdered sugar and coffee in a small bowl; spread glaze evenly over top of cake. Cut into 12 pieces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note