Breakfast Bread Dough
This dough does double-duty as Caramel-Glazed Monkey Bread or Chocolate Rolls. It's a cinch to mix together and keeps beautifully in the fridge up to 3 days.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 25 Minutes
- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening, cubed
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cut butter and shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbly. Add yeast mixture and buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 72 hours.
- To make ahead: Prepare recipe as directed. Cover and chill up to 72 hours. Use as directed in Caramel-Glazed Monkey Bread or Chocolate Rolls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note