- 1 10- ounces loaf country-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound fontina, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 6 ounces sliced Black Forest ham, cut into strips approximately 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch
How to Make It
Heat the oven to 325°. Toss the bread cubes with the 3 tablespoons oil and spread on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once or twice, until crisp and lightly browned on the outside but still soft inside, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk the vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the remaining 2/3 cup oil slowly, whisking.
Add the toasted bread, cheese, tomatoes, celery, onion, and parsley and toss to coat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the lettuce and ham and toss again.
Wine Recommendation: This full-flavored salad can easily partner a red wine--even, because of its ham and cheese, one with some tannin. A Beaujolais-Villages, light-bodied, fruity, and just a bit tannic, will be delicious.