Bread Salad with Currants and Pine Nuts
Community Recipe from
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried currants
- 1 tablespoon(s) warm water
- 1 teaspoon(s) red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) Champagne vinegar
- 10 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 pound(s) stale Italian-style bread cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon(s) pine nuts
- 4 scallions thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 clove(s) garlic thinly sliced
- 4 cup(s) lightly packed and small arugula leaves
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, soak the currants in the water and red wine vinegar until plumped, 10 minutes. Drain.
- In another small bowl, combine the Champagne vinegar with the 1/2 cup of olive oil (8 tbsp.) and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Bake for about 5 minutes, until lightly toasted. Let cool, then tear the bread into bite-size pieces. In a bowl, toss the bread with three-quarters of the dressing and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pie plate, warm the pine nuts in the oven for 2 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Add the scallions and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes; transfer to a large bowl. Add the currants, bread, pine nuts and the remaining Champagne vinaigrette and toss.
- Spoon the bread salad into a shallow 1-quart baking dish. Cover loosely with foil and bake for about 15 minutes, until heated through. Uncover and bake for a few minutes longer to dry out the top and brown the bottom. Transfer the bread salad to a platter, toss with the arugula and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ftcollinsco and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bread Salad with Currants and Pine Nuts Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes