I made this yesterday for a family gathering and there were no leftovers to put away. What a great recipe! The vanilla sauce really makes it special and even those who were skeptical about "bread pudding" ended up loving it. You won't be disappointed with this one.
Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Photo: J. Savage Gibson; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
Decadent bread pudding topped with a homemade vanilla cream sauce is the ultimate in comfort-food desserts. For more luscious ways to end a meal, see our complete dessert recipes collection.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 4 cups cubed French bread
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Vanilla Sauce
- Combine first 4 ingredients; stir in butter and whipping cream. Gently stir in bread and raisins. Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart soufflé or deep baking dish.
- Bake at 375° for 50 to 55 minutes, shielding with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let pudding stand 10 minutes before serving warm with Vanilla Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Puddings/Custards
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Eggs, Rice/Grains
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Mardi Gras, Mother's Day, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Desserts