Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 477
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 365mg
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- 1 loaf (1 1/2 lb.) crusty Italian-style bread
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- Amaretto Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1. Cut bread crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices; trim off and discard crusts (or save for other uses) and cut slices into 1-inch cubes.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, amaretto, and vanilla until well combined. Gently stir in raisins and bread cubes just until evenly moistened; pour mixture into a 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake pudding in a 350° regular or convection oven until center is set (cut to test), about 1 hour. Scoop out portions or cut and lift out with a wide spatula. Serve warm with Amaretto Caramel Sauce.
- Amaretto Caramel Sauce. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over low heat, stir 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to high and boil, without stirring, until the mixture is amber colored, about 8 minutes; remove pan from heat. Meanwhile, in a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium-high heat, bring 1/3 cup whipping cream to a boil. Off the heat, carefully add hot cream and 1/4 cup amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon almond extract to the caramelized sugar; stir until blended (the mixture will bubble up). Serve warm. Makes about 1 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note