- 7 1/2 cups 1/4-inch-thick zucchini slices
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pickling salt, divided
- 3/4 cup firmly packed fresh celery leaves, torn
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 6 dried allspice berries
How to Make It
Combine zucchini and onions in a large nonreactive bowl. Add 1 1/4 tablespoons of the pickling salt; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
Transfer zucchini mixture to a colander, and rinse thoroughly to remove pickling salt. Drain, and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in celery leaves.
Divide and pack mixture evenly into 6 (1-pint) canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top of each.
Combine vinegar and next eight ingredients with remaining 1 1/4 tablespoons pickling salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Carefully ladle hot vinegar mixture over zucchini mixture in jars, leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top of each. Wipe rims. Cover at once with lids; screw on bands. Cool jars to room temperature. Pickles will keep up to a month in refrigerator.