- 2 large onions (1 pound)
- 3 pounds turkey parts (legs, thighs, neck, and giblets)
- 5 to 6 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 (16-ounce) French bread loaf, cubed
- Cut onions into wedges, starting at top and cutting to within 1/2 inch of root end. Separate wedges slightly, and place in a lightly greased, large roasting pan. Add turkey parts.
- Bake at 500° for 45 minutes or until browned and turkey is done.
- Bring turkey, onions, 5 cans broth, carrot, and next 4 ingredients (celery through fennel seeds) to a boil in a large Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove from heat; cool. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Drain vegetables and turkey, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Process vegetables in a food processor until smooth. Skin, bone, and finely chop turkey.
- Skim foam from broth. Return turkey and vegetable mixture to broth. Add bread and remaining can chicken broth, if needed. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This