- 14 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
How to Make It
Place cucumbers and onions in a large Dutch oven; sprinkle evenly with salt, and add water to cover. Cover and let stand 3 hours. Drain well.
Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, turmeric, and cloves in a large container; simmer 5 minutes. Add cucumbers and onions; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Pack cucumber mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4- inch head space. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in a boiling- water bath for 10 minutes. Chill pickles before serving.