- 1 (1 lb.) loaf firm white bread, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup chicken broth, plus extra
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- calories 392
- fat 14 g
- satfat 8 g
- protein 7 g
- carbohydrate 63 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- sodium 609 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast bread on 2 large baking sheets, turning pieces twice, until dry, 18 minutes.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apples, celery and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine apple mixture with raisins, bread, broth, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large, shallow baking dish or ovenproof serving dish. Drizzle with extra broth, depending on desired moistness; cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake stuffing for 30 minutes (start about 25 minutes before turkey will be done cooking). Remove foil and bake uncovered for 15 minutes longer.