Bread-and-Butter Pickled Onions with Green Tomatoes
Dialing back the sugar in the versatile brine lets the natural sweetness of the onions and vegetables shine in these quick and easy refrigerator pickles.
More From Southern Living
Total: 10 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 pound sweet onions, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1. Toss together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Transfer to a colander; drain 20 minutes. Pack into 3 (1-pt.) jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top.
- 2. Bring vinegar and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sugar dissolves. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 3. Pour vinegar mixture over onion mixture in jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Cool completely (about 20 minutes). Cover with lids, and chill 8 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note