- 1 pound sweet onions, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
How to Make It
Toss together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Transfer to a colander; drain 20 minutes. Pack into 3 (1-pt.) jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top.
Bring vinegar and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sugar dissolves. Let stand 5 minutes.
Pour vinegar mixture over onion mixture in jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Cool completely (about 20 minutes). Cover with lids, and chill 8 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.