I absolutely love this recipe. I have made it many times and often skip the step of browning the meats if I'm pressed for time putting this together before I leave for work.
Feijoada (pronounced fay-ZWAH-da) is a delicious stew of pork and black beans that's traditionally served over rice with fresh orange slices. In Brazil, this dish is often served on special occasions, but preparing it in a slow cooker makes it possible to serve this rich dish on the busiest weeknights.
More From Cooking Light
9 Hours, 47 Minutes
- Calories: 458
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 39.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.8g
- Fiber: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 96mg
- Iron: 6.4mg
- Sodium: 533mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices
- 1 (1-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (9-ounce) smoked ham hock
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 orange wedges
- 1. Place beans in a small saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Sprinkle pork evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Add pork to drippings in skillet; sauté 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer pork to a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Sprinkle ribs evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add ribs to skillet; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in slow cooker. Add drained beans, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 3 ingredients (through ham hock) to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beans and meat are tender.
- 3. Remove ribs from slow cooker; let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred meat with 2 forks. Discard bones. Discard ham hock. Return beef to slow cooker. Stir in vinegar and crumbled bacon. Serve with orange wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note