Brats and Beer Cheddar Chowder
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Brats and Beer Cheddar Chowder
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely shredded
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (12-oz) bottle ale, such as Bass
- 3/4 pound yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked sausage, such as kielbasa or bratwurst, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, carrots, and shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until
- onion is softened and edges are beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, caraway seeds and pepper and cook, stirring constantly,
- for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add vegetable broth and ale, whisking
- constantly, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and sausage. Return to
- simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes have softened, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add milk and cheese. Cook, stirring frequently,
- until cheese melts and soup is heated through (do not boil). Season to
- taste with salt and pepper.
- Source: adapted from Midwest Living
- ____________ _________ _________ __
- This delicious recipe brought to you by Sweet Pea's Kitchen
- http://sweetpeaskit chen.com/ 2012/11/brats- and-beer- cheddar-chowder/
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brats and Beer Cheddar Chowder Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews