I made this sauce with the brandy and it is wonderful over apple pie and bet it would be good on apple spice cake or just on vanilla ice cream.
We suggest using the full amount of butter in this sauce, although half of our tasting table thought it was fine with 2 Tbsp.
This recipe goes with Double Apple Pie With Cornmeal Crust
More From Southern Living
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring whipping cream to a light boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in butter, brandy, and vanilla. Let cool 10 minutes.
- *Apple cider may be substituted.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week. To reheat, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Place mixture in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts