Brandied cranberry short rib stew, modified Sunset Mag Oct 2011
Community Recipe from
- 6 pound(s) short ribs 2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 3 tablespoon(s) oil divided
- 3 pound(s) kabocha squash seeded, cut into 2" wedges
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) flour
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon(s) bittersweet chocolate cocoa powder
- 4 cup(s) beef broth
- 1/2 cup(s) brandy or red wine
- 1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon(s) minced candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) finely shredded orange zest
- 1-1/2 cup(s) fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1. Sprinkle on 1/2 of salt and pepper on ribs, coat in flour. Braise in pan with oil.
- 2. In slow cooker: add onions, garlic, cocoa, beef broth and stir in flour till smooth. Stir in brandy, cranberries, candied .ginger and orange zest. Add in braised meat
- 3. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- 4. Spoon off fat. Chill overnight.
- 5. Skim off fat. Reheat beef in large pot and fresh cranberries.
- 6. Cut squash wedges crosswise, put on baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp oil. Roast until carmelized at 500 for about 10 minutes.
- 7. Toss in cubes of kabocha squash.
- 8. Add cornstrarch with water to thicken gravy if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by kimwchew and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note