Brandied cranberry short rib stew, modified Sunset Mag Oct 2011
Community Recipe from
- 6 pound(s) short ribs 2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 3 tablespoon(s) oil divided
- 3 pound(s) kabocha squash seeded, cut into 2" wedges
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) flour
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon(s) bittersweet chocolate cocoa powder
- 4 cup(s) beef broth
- 1/2 cup(s) brandy or red wine
- 1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon(s) minced candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) finely shredded orange zest
- 1-1/2 cup(s) fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1. Sprinkle on 1/2 of salt and pepper on ribs, coat in flour. Braise in pan with oil.
- 2. In slow cooker: add onions, garlic, cocoa, beef broth and stir in flour till smooth. Stir in brandy, cranberries, candied .ginger and orange zest. Add in braised meat
- 3. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- 4. Spoon off fat. Chill overnight.
- 5. Skim off fat. Reheat beef in large pot and fresh cranberries.
- 6. Cut squash wedges crosswise, put on baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp oil. Roast until carmelized at 500 for about 10 minutes.
- 7. Toss in cubes of kabocha squash.
- 8. Add cornstrarch with water to thicken gravy if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by kimwchew and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes