I have made this recipe many times over since it appeared in Sunset and it is always an appreciated dish at the table. I have not really found a need to change a thing about this recipe. It is the usual well vetted Sunset recipe- just follow it!
Braised Winter Greens with Bacon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 77%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sodium: 1028mg
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- 8 slices (about 10 oz.) applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 pounds mixed winter greens, such as Swiss chard, mustard greens, and/or kale
- About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring often, until fat is rendered and bacon begins to brown, 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil and the garlic to pot; cook, stirring often, until garlic is golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse greens and trim off ends. Cut out tough center ribs and slice ribs crosswise into 1-in. lengths; quarter the leaves. Add ribs to pot and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, 6 to 7 minutes. In batches, add leaves to pot, stirring until all are wilted. Add 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, the mustard seeds, and cooked bacon; cover and simmer until greens are tender to bite, 45 minutes to 1 hour, checking occasionally to make sure liquid hasn't completely evaporated; add more broth if it has.
- 3. Drain greens (reserve liquid for other uses) and mound in a bowl. Stir in vinegar and salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables